South Perkasie Covered Bridge
(GPSN40’ 22.08” W75’ 17.72”)
Located on Walnut Street in Lenape Park, Perkasie PA.
Built in 1832 of pine and oak, the South Perkasie Covered Bridge at one time crossed the Pleasant Spring Creek. The heavily used bridge was condemned to traffic. Perkasie Historical Society saved the bridge from demolition. In August of 1959, the bridge was moved to Lenape Park, 0.8 mile away and placed on dry land. The relocation received national media coverage. The bridge is 93 ft long and 15 ft wide with a Town Truss and has one span. The entire bridge is painted red and over the portal is the famous sign –”$5 Fine for Any Person Riding or Driving Over This Bridge Faster Than a Walk or Smoking Segars On.”
From Rt 313 (Swamp Rd) and 5th St, go west on 5th St 3.2 mi. Turn onto Walnut St and go 0.3 mi. Turn right into Lenape Park, the bridge is on the left.