Loux Covered Bridge
(GPSN40’ 25.36”W75’ 07.67”)
Located on Wismer Rd between Stump Rd and Dark Hollow Rd near Hinkletown in Plumstead Twp.
Loux is a Penn Dot bridge.
The Loux Covered Bridge is one of two covered bridges crossing Cabin Run Creek. Because Cabin Run Creek was so dangerous to cross, the local residents petitioned for a bridge in 1872. Constructed in 1874 by David Sutton using the Town Truss design, it has one span and is built of hemlock. The 60 ft long and 15 ft wide, Loux Covered Bridge is the second shortest bridge in the county and the only bridge painted white. A stone marker on the bridge that identifies it as “Cabin Run Bridge” is quite curious since there is another bridge known as Cabin Run that was built in 1871.
From Rt. 413 (Durham Rd) and Stump Rd, go east onto Stump Road (follow signs for Ralph Stover State Park) for 0.9 mi. Turn left onto Wismer Rd for 1.0 mi to bridge. Note: Carversville Rd becomes Wismer Rd in this area.