Frankenfield Covered Bridge
(GPS N40’ 28.53” W75’ 05.96”)
Located at Hollow Horn and Cafferty Rd in Tinticum Twp.
Frankenfield is a Bucks County bridge.
The two span structure of the Frankenfield Covered Bridge was built in 1872 by David Sutton utilizing the Town Truss and is painted red. It is 130 ft long and 12 ft wide, making it the longest of the used bridges, in the county. There is a small nameplate on the bridge listing its date of construction, length and height. The bridge crosses the Tinicum Creek only two miles upstream from where the creek flows into the Delaware River. This area had been known for its abundance of turtles. Stories are told that leeches were collected here in Colonial times and sold to Philadelphia doctorsfor blood-letting.
From River Rd (Rt. 32) and Dark Hollow Rd (Dark Hollow Rd is 0.6 mi north of Smithtown Rd) go west on Dark Hollow Rd 1.6 mi. Turn right on Cafferty Rd (just passthe school) go 0.6 mi to the bridge.